Take the right equipment, clothing and food with you
- Backpack (40–60 litre size for multi-day hiking)
- Waterproof/plastic pack liner
- Sleeping bag (3–4 season)
- First aid kit (including insect repellent, sunscreen, blisterkit, personal medication e.g. antihistamine for allergy to wasp stings)
- Survival kit (survival blanket, whistle, paper, pencil, highenergy snack food)
- Safety equipment relevant to the track and time of year (e.g. map, compass)
- Drink bottle (1-2 litre capacity)
- Eating and cooking utensils (knife, fork, spoon, plate, cup, pot/pan/billy, cleaning kit, tea towel)
- Matches or lighter in waterproof container
- Torch/flashlight and spare batteries
- Rubbish bag
- Tickets and ID
If you're camping
- Ear plugs for communual bunkrooms
- For multi-day walking you'll need at least one set of clothes to walk in and another dry set to change into at night.
- Tramping/hiking boots or firm footwear (should be comfortable and well broken in)
- Socks (wool or polypropylene)
- Shorts (quick dry material)
- Shirt (wool or polypropylene)
- Under layers, top and bottom (wool or polypropylene)
- Mid-layers (wool or polar fleece)
- Raincoat (waterproof, windproof with hood)
- Overtrousers (wind and waterproof)
- Warm hat and gloves
- Sunhat and sunglasses
- Extra socks, underwear, shirt/lightweight jersey
- Lightweight shoes for inside the huts
You can't buy food on the track.
Bring food that is lightweight, fast cooking and high in energy value. For example:
- Breakfast: cereal/porridge/oats, firm bread, honey or other spreads
- Lunch: cracker biscuits, cheese, salami, jam/jelly, fruit
- Dinner: instant soup, pasta or rice, dried vegetables or fruit, cheese or dehydrated (freeze-dried) meals.
You'll also need water, snacks, biscuits, muesli bars, tea or coffee, powdered fruit drinks and emergency food in case of any delays on the track.
Download a checklist
Outside the Great Walks season
For safety reasons the Kepler Track doesn't operate as a Great Walk/Easier tramping track during May to October. If attempting the Kepler Track at that time, you'll need additional equipment. See Walking the Kepler Track outside the Great Walks season.